Who can register?
Smart Drive Challenge is open to anyone 18 and over!
Is there a cost to participate?
No, it’s free to participate in the Smart Drive Challenge.
Why should I register?
Smart Drive Challenge will provide you with training that will help you become a smarter driver: saving money by reducing your fuel consumption and lowering vehicle emissions.
This is important because
- On average, Canadian households spend 15 per cent of their budget on personal transportation
- If you own a car it’s likely that almost half of your greenhouse gas emissions come from driving. Efficient driving is one of the most cost-effective methods to achieving greenhouse gas emissions reductions
What information do you ask for and why?
The registration form asks for information in four categories:
- Contact information will be used to communicate with participants during and after the program;
- Vehicle information is collected to understand what type of vehicle you currently drive and help us understand your current environmental impact;
- Demographic information collected will be used to better understand participants and find out whether program results vary depending on demographic variables; and
- Behaviour information is collected to better understand participant’s current driving and travel behaviours
What happens after I register?
Once you register you can log in and begin learning right away – it’s that easy!
What’s expected of me as a participant?
As a participant, you are encouraged to complete the first training course, called ecoDriving Online. This 25-minute online course will teach you how to:
- Become a more efficient driver
- Understand actions to improve your vehicle’s performance
- Review travel management tips to help you drive less
- Learn about new vehicle technology, such as electric vehicles
When ecoDriving Online is complete, you’ll be given a survey challenging you to begin putting your training to the test!
With the first course now complete, you’ll be given access to other courses and training resources. Feel free to access as much or as little as you’d like, setting your own pace as you go.
Then one, three and six months after completing the initial ecoDriving Online course, you’ll receive a brief survey asking about your current driving and travel patterns. These surveys will help us better understand the impact of the training and whether you’ve made changes in your daily driving and travels.
Please see How does it work? for more information on the program stages.
What do I need in order to participate?
Smart Drive Challenge is an online education and points-based program. The digital training resources are responsive and can be accessed on any device, so a computer, tablet or smartphone with internet access will work fine. If you have a car, we encourage you to practice what you learn and try to challenge yourself to reduce your fuel consumption and environmental impact.
When does the program begin?
The Smart Drive Challenge will open for registration beginning in November 2017. As soon as you register you can start accessing the training resources and getting your learn on!
How long does the training take?
You’re welcome to learn as much or as little as you’d like and set your own pace through the training courses and resources. The first training course, ecoDriving Online, takes about 25 minutes to complete. With that finished, you’ll be given access to more courses and resources. You can breeze through them or set a leisurely pace – it’s up to you!
How do I complete the ecoDriving Online Course?
To complete the ecoDriving Online Course you need to complete both the training and the survey.
To complete the training, go to ecoDriving Online [Interactive Training Video], take the training (about 25 minutes) and then click the Mark Complete button when finished.
To complete the survey, go to ecoDriving Online Survey, click the link on the page and then answer the questions.
When both of these steps are finished you’ll receive a badge and certificate for completing the course and have access to all of the other courses and learning resources.
Participant Data Collection
What information and data do you collect and why?
Aside from your initial registration, we will collect the following information:
- Training Course and Resource Access and Completion: To attribute points, awards and certificates we must track what you’ve accessed and completed, including resources, lessons, courses and learning quizzes
- Driving and Travel Behavioural Surveys: One, three and six months after completing your initial training course, you’ll receive brief surveys asking you about your current driving and travel behaviours. We use this information to better understand the impact of the program and training on participants and whether improvements are made and maintained over time
Who sees my information publicly?
When you register, you are asked to choose a Smart Drive Name, which can be your real name or any name of your choosing (real or anonymous). This name will be listed on your dashboard’s leaderboard showing how many points you’ve achieved and the names, points, city and province of your fellow learners. Likewise, other registered learners will be able to see your Smart Drive Name, points achieved and the city and province you live in. All other information will be kept private and confidential.
Will you share my personal information with an insurance company?
No. Information that can identify you personally will not be made public or given to any insurance companies. Smart Drive Challenge is not partnered or associated with any insurance companies. The goal and focus of the program is on fuel and emissions reductions. While driving more efficiently can lead to other related benefits, such as safer driving, this is not a safety or insurance-focused program.
I’m trying to log in, but it’s not working. What should I do?
Are you using the username or email address you used to register for the program? Only that username or email address will work when logging in.
Have you tried resetting your password? Follow the steps on the Log In page to reset your password.
If you’re still having trouble logging in, please contact the Smart Drive Challenge team through the Contact page and someone will be in touch to address the problem.
I forgot my password, what should I do?
If you forgot your password, just click on the Forgot Password option in the Log In page and follow the steps to select a new password.
Does the system automatically log me out after a certain amount of time?
No, it will not log you out. You have to manually log yourself out or close the window.
Points and Prizes
How do I earn points?
You earn points by accessing and completing training resources. The more you learn, the more you earn! For example, you’ll earn 100 points for completing ecoDriving Online, 50 points for watching other videos and 10 just for accessing an external website. You’ll also earn points for completing follow-up surveys after the program that help us better understand the impact the training has on your driving and travel behaviour.
How are prizes awarded?
Prizes will be awarded through several prize draws for completing core training resources and submitting follow-up surveys. You are eligible for each draw by initially registering for the program in full and completing key program actions. You will receive one draw entry for each point you earned. For example, if you completed your first training course and have 300 points, you’ll receive 300 entries into the first prize draw – so the more points you have, the better your chances to win cash prizes!
When will I be notified if I have won a prize?
Winners will be announced in the month of each draw according to the draw timing outlined in the table above.